Monday 25 April 2011

la ville

for the longest time now, I have been wanting to write about the city I currently live in, Pune. Something, somehow, is stopping me from actually coming up with anything worthwhile. So, in the meanwhile, I took a two-day trip to Mumbai. A city I have spend two years living in and many, many trips exploring. I love Mumbai. Bombay.
It just has so much character, so much soul! Every building, every street, every face has stories.
Life is definitely not easy in Mumbai, but it's still a city with the brightest smiles (and probably the fattest wallets too!) Mumbaikars have a pace which I can hardly keep up with, even if it is just to observe. I have absolutely no clue how I caught on with them for two years and then retreated back to my usual self. I guess I could just blame it on Goa. And Goa, by the way, is my favourite place on earth. You don't need to know me too well to know that.
Bombay is the best place for people-watching. I could be a little biased in that though, as I love Bombay people. They are hard-working, smart, nice and justplain awesome. The Capital, on the other hand, has a different breed of people. I may be prejudiced against Delhi-ites, but this is my blog after all and I will say what I feel.( even if I point at this and laugh a few years from now)
People make a city? I think not. Delhi is a nice city. Horrid climate, but nice. The people often take after the climate. I say that even though I'm supposedly "from" Delhi. Delhihas never made me feel like I belong there. More Delhi bashing for later. Interestingly, I have a lot of friends from Delhi ( the few exceptions) and a lot of friends who love the city.
Till Class 3, I've lived in Delhi, Hyderabad, Chennai and Vishakhapatnam. And then, I moved to Panaji. Panjim. That is where I'd be 365 days a year, if I had my way (and if I wasn't so accustomed to change).
Goa is the only place where my jigsaw piece fits. Here, people make a place? Perhaps. But even if you take away every friend I have there, I'm sure that i'll make new ones. Irrespective of the people, that feeling I get the second that I'm there is absolutely priceless.
Goa is a state. Since this post is about "la ville", the city to talk about here would be Panjim. The pace of this city, is the pace at which I work. I truly believe that I am manufactured for Panjim. I have chapped lips all year round, except in, very specifically, Goan monsoons.
Thus, Panjim, is home.
Mumbai, is the city I will observe and cherish and shop in and write about.
Delhi, is where I was born, where 95% of my relatives live, where I shop, whose history I love, where I cannot live ever again.
Pune, is where I am.

1 comment:

  1. I know the feeling of just being 'home', when you come to a city. With me, the first glimpse of pine trees in the outskirts of Shillong just feel - right.

    ReplyDelete